I must admit that Ethereal‘s release has not gone as well as I had hoped. I obviously made some significant mistakes, and I am now listening intently to all of the feedback and I’m working hard to improve the game as quickly as I can in order to meet the expectations of more players.
I’m not ready to do a full postmortem or make any further comments on the game’s release. At this time I’d rather let my actions and updates speak for me. With that in mind, I’m just going to jump into the changes I made over the weekend that should help improve the experience for new players. My hope is that the changes made here will more successfully funnel new players into the tutorial, and make it easier to get into the rest of the game. Additionally, having some magic equipped by default should help new players learn the game’s rules more intuitively by simply pressing buttons, as well as progress through the game’s intro more easily.
Ethereal Version Update 1.1
- Updated to Unreal Engine 4.15
- Improved stability, increased performance
- A great number of changes were made to the Arcadia map.
- The map was reduced in size and scale, and changes were made to it’s layout and design.
- The map’s average performance has increased, thanks to the new design.
- The tutorial quest was slightly changed to direct players into a new area beneath the Portal.
- Added the “Return” spell.
- “Return” will teleport you to the starting location of the current Realm.
- New players start the game with “Return” equipped.
- New players will now start the game with “Cure” and “Dash” spells equipped.
- Added the “Rune Blade” one-handed weapon.
- Undead Warriors now deal slightly reduced damage, and have a slightly longer attack delay.
- The Skeleton King’s potential loot pool was changed.
If you have any further feedback, be sure to hit me up and let me know!Read More