Ok, lets try this again! Today I’m releasing yet another update to Endless Reach; this is a smaller update just to address a common error found in the last build. So here we go, Endless Reach version 2.4.1!
When I released version 2.4 last week, I had feedback across the board from the majority of players wherein a crash would occur on startup. A few great users were kind enough to send me their error logs, and every error log I’ve looked at produced this:
OculusPlugin.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module OculusPlugin.dll
It’s incredibly strange to have an issue appear for so many clients, but to never see it once on my own machine. Even more so, that made it incredibly difficult to diagnose and fix. While I never was able to reproduce the issue on my own machine, Oculus released a more stable SDK a day later (v 0.4.3.1) so I’m hoping it will address this issue. About to find out! A user on the Oculus forums claimed the crashes stopped when he changed the quality settings from “Fastest” to “Good“, so we’re now also defaulting to “Good” on startup, in case that has any effect. Additionally, I’ve made the game utilize DirectX 11 by default.
So, in addition to the updates that came with the last version update, here’s what you’ll find available in version 2.4.1:
- Updates to Oculus SDK 0.4.3.1
- Now uses DirectX 11 by default.
- If you experience issues, DirectX 9 can be forced by creating a shortcut to “EndlessReach_DirectToRift.exe” and adding the “-force-d3d9” parameter without quotes to the shortcut’s target path.
- Quality Settings now default to “Good“.
- Quality Settings can be changed when launching the game by holding CTRL while double-clicking the “EndlessReach_DirectToRift.exe”.
RECOMMENDED RIFT DISPLAY MODE SETTINGS
- Direct HMD Access from Apps [YES]
- DK1 Legacy App Support [NO]
Please let me know how things work for you, and definitely provide me with any feedback you have! You can email be directly at email@example.com, or post anything you want to on the game’s Official Subreddit. Be sure to follow me on Twitter @Soverance for all the latest info!