The march to release day continues with today’s beta version 0.9.4 update! With this update being mostly bug fixes and polish, beta testers will enjoy a number of improvements and quality-of-life adjustments throughout the game. Most importantly was probably increasing the performance of the Arcadia map (which would occasionally fall below 60 fps on my test machine in certain areas, like the around the cathedral), which should now hold a more stable frame rate in all areas of the map. Additionally, players will be excited to know that dying without reraise during boss encounters will no longer force you to raise at the beginning of the level; you’ll now get to raise just outside the boss arena.
My favorite addition in this update is actually something totally stupid, and that is chickens! These poultry fiends now wander around the Arcadian town, and if you’re feeling particularly devilish, you can kick them into a feathery oblivion. I even went as far as to reward an achievement for kicking enough chickens, and if you’re lucky, one of them might drop a really rare chicken-themed item….
So without further ado:
Ethereal Beta Version Update 0.9.4
- Added chickens to Arcadia.
- Added the “Chickenlover” achievement.
- Obtained by kicking 50 chickens.
- The “Rubber Chicken” item was added.
- Increased the baseline performance in certain areas of Arcadia.
- The game now uses a borderless window on the Windows platform.
- A system was added so that players killed during boss fights without reraise will no longer be restarted at the beginning of the Realm.
- After engaging a boss, the player’s respawn point will change to just outside the boss arena, and will remain there until leaving the Realm.
- Shop NPCs now have distinct map markers.
- The following items were updated and/or changed:
- Eurytos Bow
- Spartan Shield
- Diablos Dread
- Flame Arrow
- Demon Arrow
- Balloon Sword
- Fixed collision attachment errors on One and Two-Handed weapons.
- Fixed a bug where volume controls were not applied to certain sound effects.
- Fixed a bug that could cause Zhan to get stuck in an animation, preventing further attacks.
- Fixed a bug where starting a New Game would sometimes fail to unequip bound items.
- Fixed a bug where starting a New Game would fail to reset certain variables, such as “Time Played” and “Enemies Defeated“.