This beta test is currently a private, invite-only affair. If you have not already received a key and wish to participate in this testing phase, please fill out the Beta Access Request Form. A limited number of keys are available, but I’ll do my best to get everyone I can.
To participate in the Ethereal Beta Test, you will require a Windows 64-bit PC and a gamepad. You can expect the demo to take about an hour to complete.
Your goal in the Beta Demo is simply to complete the first level of the game, the Ethereal Realm known as Shiitake Temple, and obtain the Steam Achievement “Shiitake Liberator“.
Do note that these beta keys are not intended for sale, and will not override the release state of the final game.
Edit 1 : Beta Phase 1 is complete, and new testers are not currently being on-boarded via the Request Form. If you’d like to test anyway and are willing to actually provide feedback, you can try asking me for a key on Twitter.
EDIT 2 : Many changes have been made since the Beta went live, and you can find information about the latest version within the Ethereal version history.
When you’re done playing the demo, I would appreciate any feedback you may have! I request that you complete the following feedback form:
The form does ask for your email address, so that I have a way to contact you if I’d like to further discuss the results of your survey. Your email address will not be sold.
BETA DEMO GAMEPLAY TIPS:
A lot of what you need to know is already covered in the Ethereal Game Guide. Hit the button below to go there:
Here are the gameplay controls:
EDIT : Many changes have been made since the Beta went live, and you can find information about the latest version within the Ethereal version history.
- Hit “L3” to toggle Run mode.
- New players are started with a handful of items, including:
- Magic spell: Cure
- Magic spell: Thunder
- Magic spell: Dash
- Main Weapon: Iron Sword
- Sub Weapon: War Aspis
- Body Armor: Cloth Tunic
- Consumables: Potion x 2
- Before accessing the Portal for the first time, you should open the menu and bind your gear to your character. This includes equipping your magic spells to their slots, as well as equipping your weapons and armor.
- Your character status is automatically saved every time you close the Pause Menu, or load a new Realm.
- In the beta demo, only the following Realms are accessible:
- Shiitake Temple
- All other Realms are locked for this Beta Demo, and are unavailable for play.
- There is not yet an in-game tutorial or any in-game tips. In the final version, a tutorial NPC will provide details on how to play. This NPC does exist in the Beta (Prodigy, nearby the Portal in Arcadia). Additionally, the final version will feature random gameplay tips on loading screens (in an attempt to remove the need to interact with the Prodigy NPC), and the same “controls” image above will be accessible from the in-game Options menu or the tutorial NPC.
- As a “debug” feature, you can hit “L” on your keyboard to give yourself EXP and Gold.
- As another “debug” feature, you can hit “I” on your keyboard to give yourself many (not all) of the items available in game.