Ethereal Legends version 1.2.1 is here! Grab the free update now via the Steam client.
This is a small update, adding a handful of new features and fixing a few minor bugs. I am most excited for this update because for those of you on the Green Team, Ethereal Legends now supports the Nvidia Ansel screenshot tool! Ansel allows players with Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 or better graphics cards to take beautiful high resolution or 360 degree screenshots while in game. For more information about how Ansel works, see this post.
One of the most significant changes in this update is the removal of the Simul trueSKY plugin, with all skies now having been replaced with custom solutions that no longer require engine modifications. I decided to remove trueSKY for three reasons: First, trueSKY is cumbersome to work with, especially when building cross-platform. Don’t get me wrong… once it’s compiled and you’re working with it in the editor, it’s pretty great. Actually getting it to compile successfully, and shipping a build with it? That’s not nearly as easy as I would like it to be. The trueSKY plugin makes changes to Unreal Engine that require you to overwrite Epic’s source code – it’s a series of ambitious changes to an already complicated engine that adds a relatively significant amount of technical debt to my work. Which leads me into my third, and most important reason for removing trueSKY: Ethereal Legends simply did not put it to good use. Ethereal is a fantasy game, set in fantasy locales. Simul’s trueSKY, on the other hand, does exactly what it’s name implies: creates true, realistic skies. It’s a fantastic plugin, but it simply can’t do fantasy. Despite how great trueSKY looks, I found it impossible to make any skies that looked “unnatural“. Because of this, I was only using trueSKY in 50% of Ethereal‘s maps (Arcadia, Shiitake, Boreal, and Empyrean – other Realms were already using custom skies before this update). With all of this in mind, I decided to remove trueSKY entirely and recover from the technical debt incurred from supporting trueSKY.
Also in this update is one of the most requested features I’ve had since release – the ability to purchase multiple consumable items from the shop!
Now without further ado:
Ethereal Version 1.2.1 Release Notes
- Updated to Unreal Engine 4.15.1
- Added Nvidia Ansel support.
- Open Ansel in game by pressing Alt-F2.
- Requires an Ansel supported GPU.
- For more information on the operation of Ansel, view this post.
- Removed Simul trueSKY plugin.
- Skies in all Realms have been replaced with custom solutions.
- Due to this change, lighting in all Realms has been adjusted.
- Players can now purchase multiple quantities of consumable items from Lilster’s shop.
- Adjusted the attenuation falloff radius of certain ambient sound effects.
- Made polishing adjustments to certain enemy attack effects.